| Drive Up | Abandoned |
| Elevation: 6441′ | St. Joe National Forest |
History
Developed in 1924 with a cupola log cabin.



In 1955 the current 50′ tower with L-4 cab was built.
Conrad Lookout is the tallest remaining tower on the St. Joe.
This tower was last manned in 1984, abandoned sometime soon after. There was a patrol point on Dominion 3 miles West of Conrad.
Restoration work is proposed by a partnership between the FFLA Idaho Chapter and the St. Joe. As of the summer of 2020, it didn’t appear that any work was in process -it could be that projects have been stalled due to COVID and large-scale fire seasons that have sent resources to other areas.
The tower is listed on the National Historic Lookout Register.
Known Staff
1930 – Paul Rasor (*Hardship & Happy Times by Bert Russell)
1931 – Herman Fricke
1967 – Clarie Voss (*Kellogg Evening News)
19?? – John “Red” Dennis. He was the infamous lookout who got the extra bacon rations. (*Hardships & Happy Times by Bert Russell and Fire Lookouts of the Northwest by Ray Kresek)
*Conrad Peak and Conrad Crossing were both named after a prospector from Fairfield who had tunnels down along Copper Creek * (Hardships & Happy Times by Bert Russel)

Our Notes
Conrad, as you can see from our photographs, is in disrepair, but we don’t think it’s too far gone to save. We’re investigating how we can help be a part of its restoration – as well absolutely fell in love with this tower and want to see it continuing to stand proud!




Conrad Peak 2020



Leave a reply