|DRIVE-UP||STAFFED||ELEVATION: 6727 FT|
Hell’s Half Acre was originally a 40′ Tree Platform in 1930.
In 1940 a 10′ TT L-4 was built.
In 1960 a 10′ concrete base with R-6 flat cab was built.
In 1962 & ’63 the tower was staffed by David Dillon.
In 1968 & ’69 the tower was staffed by Barbara & Neal Nelson.
From 1982 to 2016 a couple, Mark & Rhett Moak, manned this lookout every fire season. They raised three children, who Im positive, had the absolute best summers a kid could ask for. A really fantastic article about the Moak’s can be found here: https://missoulian.com/lifestyles/hometowns/on-fire-watch-couple-shares-33-summers-in-mountaintop-lookouts/article_b985d2e0-6a7b-5f4d-909c-ff6269f619b1.html#tncms-source=login
In both 2013 and 2017 the tower was wrapped due to nearby forest fires.
In 2017 the post was filled by Austin. We visited Austin during a very smokey 2020 September day. We really had a great visit with Austin – and we’re still waiting for him to come visit up north and try some good local beers 😉